The UK’s Current Obesity Rate & Future Predicted Rate

Wednesday, June 1, 2016


 

The UK’s Current Obesity Rate & Future Predicted Rate

 

By Chris Jarratt of Bariquins (June 2016)

 

            Once again America has recorded an increase in their obesity rate. The US Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) released some data this week from its 2015 National Health Interview Survey. This shows that the obesity rate in America has risen 0.5% from the 2014 rate to 30.4% in 2015.

Albeit a small increase, it is still heading in the wrong direction. Furthermore, the results are the self-estimated weight of those being interviewed. The rates could be even higher if the respondents have underestimated their weight, innocently or otherwise. Whether or not it is higher, Uncle Sam has a population nudging towards one obese person in every three people. And that’s without any mention of people who are overweight but not obese. Referring to the stats produced by the US National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, two-thirds of Americans are overweight or obese.

 

And the UK?

 

            So, what about this side of the Atlantic? Things don’t look quite as bad here -yet. Although in 2014, in England, 58% of women and 65% of men were classed as overweight or obese. Obesity prevalence had also increased from 15% in 1993 to 26% in 2014. So only a mere 1 in 4 people are obese in England.

 

            In Scotland, things are worse than England. In 2013, when statistics were gathered in the Scottish Health Survey, just under two-thirds (65%) of adults (aged 16 and over) were either overweight or obese while over a quarter (28%) were obese. Men were more likely than women to be overweight or obese; 69.2% versus 59.6%.

 

            In 2014, the Welsh Health Survey reported that Wales had 58% of the adult population were classified as overweight or obese, including 22% obese. More Welsh men are overweight or obese (61%) than women (54%) there.

 

And to complete the picture for the United Kingdom, here’s the figures for Northern Ireland. According to the Health Survey Northern Ireland, in 2014/15 25% of those aged 16 and over are obese and a further 35% are overweight, making a total of 60% who are either overweight or obese.

 

What Will the Future Bring?

 

Not much good news, that’s for sure. According to a study published by the Lancet medical journal says about a fifth of all adults around the world and a third of those in the UK will be obese by 2025, with potentially disastrous consequences for the health of those suffering from obesity. There is also near enough a zero chance that the world can meet the target set by the UN for halting the climbing obesity rate by 2025. A very bleak prospect that the world and the United Kingdom will be facing within the next 10 years.

References.

 

‘Early Release of Selected Estimates Based on Data From the 2015 National Health Interview Survey’ by the US Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nhis/releases/released201605.htm

‘Overweight and Obesity Statistics’ by the US National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases.

http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-statistics/Pages/overweight-obesity-statistics.aspx

‘Statistics on Obesity, Physical Activity and Diet: England, 2016’ by the Health and Social Care Information Centre.

www.hscic.gov.uk/catalogue/PUB20562/obes-phys-acti-diet-eng-2016-rep.pdf

The Scottish Health Survey 2013:

http://www.gov.scot/Publications/2014/12/9982

Welsh Health Survey: 2014 results.

http://gov.wales/statistics-and-research/welsh-health-survey/?lang=en

Health survey Northern Ireland.

https://www.health-ni.gov.uk/articles/health-survey-northern-ireland

Trends in adult body-mass index in 200 countries from

1975 to 2014: Published in Lancet 2016; 387: 1377–96.


Tags: Bariquins, bariatric, Barry, obese, obesity, health service, health, plus-size, mannequin, manikin, dummy, ambulance, emergency, fire, fat, rescue, paramedic, police

CONTACT US

BARIQUINS

Stockport Business & Innovation Centre, Suite 379, Broadstone Mill, Broadstone Road, Reddish, Stockport SK5 7DL UK

Tel: +44 (0)161 464 6160

MESSAGE US